Sunday, September 19, 2010

Welcome home or List 2009 - Books

Ah, hello my friends and welcome back. I've been away for a while, but now I'm back. The Facebook status update, just wasn't cutting it for me anymore.

New readers are welcome, I don't know why you'd want to follow this blog, it's mainly about me and what I've read and seen, but please, take a seat, stay a little.

Since you've been gone, I've updated my review site (you'll find the three latest, and a link to all my reviews in the right side-bar). I've gotten some more review gigs on two different comic-sites. You'll find them all there. I've also painstakingly, and time-consumingly, updated what I've read and seen, and since some of my last entries was these lists I like to make at the end of the year, I thought I'd start with some lists from 2009.

This is the book list as you might have guessed.


So let's buckle up and get cracking!

2009

  • BOOKS READ 2009: 34
A slight decrease from 2007 and 8's 36 books - but I think this will be explained later

  • MOST READ AUTHOR: (tied) Yukio Mishima/Slavoj Zizek (2 books)
No really clear winner here, compared to last years winner Murakami with 6 books. At least a new Japanese author is in play, it would be rather depressing if Murakami had won this third year in a row. Zizek is a Slovenian philosopher I used for my master thesis.

  • FICTION/NON-FICTION RATIO: 27/7
A little higher than usual in the non-fiction department, also explained with my master thesis.

And now the really interesting category

TOP 3 BOOKS OF 2009
(not counting previously read books)

Mind you, this is written in late 2010, so some of these books are pretty far away in my mind.

But the three best books I read in 2009, thinking back are:

  1. Cormac McCarthy Blood Meridian
  2. Kristian Bang Foss - Stormen i '99
  3. J.M. Coetzee - Disgrace
This i my bid. It was a hard choice, mainly because, though I've read some very good books, I didn't read anything that blew me away (ok Blood Meridian did).

NOW, swiftly moving along. Time for a category introduced in 2008 - COMICS. My passion for this medium have grown since I started reading them, which these number should also tell you:

  • COMICS READ 2009: 80
Now it's always a bit tricky counting comics, I've chosen to count Trade Paperbacks, when not dealing with a single book. 80 is pretty high! In 2008 it was 54. This should make up for low number of books read.

  • MOST READ AUTHOR: Robert Kirman (11 Volumes)
  • MOST READ COMIC: The Walking Dead (11 Volumes)
Ah yes, The Walking Dead, what a splendid comic series.

And finally Top 3 Comics of 2009

  1. Chris Ware Jimmy Corrigan - The Smartest Kid on Earth
  2. Robert Kirkman - The Walking Dead
  3. Moebius & Jodorowski - Inkalen
Chris Ware, I doubt I will ever tire of him - you know, I shook his hand this year, he was very friendly.

Plays and short stories top 1

  1. William Shakespeare - MacBeth
Special mention goes to Sarah Kane, I'm seeing her play 4:48 Psychosis wednesday.

That's it for this post. Take care now.

No comments: