Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Murakami review

The cover gets top marks!

I'm sure you remember me talking about Japanese author Haruki Murakami right? He wrote my most read and best book (Norwegian Wood) last year, and was also my overall most read author (he might win the later prestige again this year).

When I initially started reviewing books at litteraturnu, I thought a bit about what my niche or speciality should be, and I thought why not Japanese literature? Not that I was or is in any way an expert, but I had read a few Japanese authors, and I probably knew more about it than most others. Thankfully I didn't need to be so narrow, and I can pretty much choose whatever books I like. Today however I just got my hands on my first Japanese book up for review. It's Murakami's "After the Quake" (Efter Skælvet), translated from Japanese to Danish by award winning Mette Holm. I feel so lucky and a bit intimidated, but I'm going to do all I can to write a killer review.

That is, when I've handed in my three exam papers, Jesus! I gotta go!

By the way, for more Japanese madness, visit a new blog called Stjålne Døtre by one of my friends. He's manically obsessed with Japan (don't mention the war) much more than I could ever claim, so his posts tends to revolve around that, but occasionally he blogs about other things (like how his friends tease him). He's also a great writer who constructs some lovely prose. You'll find it here (yup, tumblr is spreading).

No comments: