Thursday, March 01, 2007

The book sale

While Nørrebro was lighted up in flames and flooded with tear gas, I decided to go shopping. I had just gotten a raise, and a 3rd job so I felt like spending some money. Went out shopping books, since the big yearly book sale has just started in Copenhagen. This is what I bought:

Icelandic Sagas - Egils Saga Njals Saga


As I told you I'm going to Iceland, so I wanted to brush up on the sagas, maybe bring it along to read.

Honoré de Balzac - Eugénie Grandet

Just a classical writer I've never read. A writer in realism like Flaubert and Stendal, both of whom I like very much.

Ambrose Bierce - Terror by Night

It's got a really corny cover of like a dissolving face, but I've run into his name many times while studying for my paper on Lovecraft. I think Lovecraft was a big fan of him, so I thought I'd give him a go. It's a collection of short storys.

Herman Melville - The Confidence-Man: His Masquerade

Another classical writer. I finished about half of Moby Dick before I dropped it. This one got some excellent reviews when it was republished in Danish not to long ago.

Anton Simmha - Astanga-Yoga

Astanga Yoga is my new hobby, so this should help me remember the exercises when I feel like I need some good conscience outside the weekly class.

That was this years harvest, lots of good titles on sale this year.

"Maybe you should try reading books instead of burning them" - Indiana Jones

No comments: