Monday, March 12, 2007

Tristan + Isolde

Just saw this overlooked little gem of a movie. Not sure how I came to find it, but I'm glad I did.
It's a retelling of the medieval legend of Tristan and Isolde which is a tragic love tale, like we know them from movies such as Rome + Juliet, Arthur and Braveheart.


The cast was really top notch I thought, the two actors who played the leads (whats-his-name and Sophia Myles who is gorgeous) both did very well, and the chemistry between them was electrifying. The British king (played by the excellent Rufus Sewell, something so royal about him, I think it's his big cheekbones) was excellent, and David O'Hara who you may know as the crazy Irish fighter Steven from Braveheart, appropriately plays the king of Ireland (he is Scottish though). The production was beautiful with lots of bloody medieval battle sequences, I know that's a must for some of you, though its real strength is the love story.

Definitely a should-see. It apparently premiered in Denmark last year, though I didn't notice it, and got mediocre reviews. Don't believe them, I'm right as always.



In other movie news, Danny Boyle's (Trainspotting, 28 Days Later) new Sci-Fi movie Sunshine will be shown at Copenhagen Natfilmfestival before the world premiere. It's about the sun dying out and the mission to reignite it. I love Sci-Fi and Danny Boyle, so I'm definitely going, who's with me?!

No comments: